Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Getting Used to Life Without Our Friend

It's been just over a couple of weeks since Sierra has left us. That first week, I really felt like I was not going to get over it. There was a hole in my heart and every where I looked, all I noticed was the fact that she wasn't there. For our girls, three has been the magic number, just like the song on School House Rock. Now we have two. I gave the other two girls lots of extra attention, and was rewarded with their sweetness and love. I'm feeling better and that hole is slowly filling with the good memories, but there are still those moments. This is the first time I've ever had to deal with death. Some people might say it's just a dog or a pet. Those people will never have the compassion in their hearts or understand that there is no such thing as just a dog. Those of us that have these special friends in our life are so blessed and the rewards are boundless. To walk in the door everyday and have that unconditional love and loyalty. Money cannot buy that. A pet will give back a hundred fold what you put into it.

I now worry about our other two girls. They are old and the thought of someday losing them too, well it's inevitable. I thought they were doing ok with Sierra's loss but her littermate Nala, seems to be stressed. She's been sick everyday, but continues to eat. I'm unsure if it's stress or something she has gotten into. If there is anymore, then it will be back to the vet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

On a last and happy note. I received some cards and packages yesterday. As I opened them up, I realized that it was from members of the Bone Cancer Dogs forum. It brought tears to my eyes. Across the computer screen, tangible in my hands, were heartfelt concerns from people who have given me advice and condolences. I should have known though. The people on the forum understand the true gift we all get if we allow a pet into our lives. They understand the love, the happiness, and the deep loss we feel when our friend is no longer with us. I just wanted to say thank you to all of them and let them know how much they have touched all our hearts. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

No comments: