Monday, June 25, 2007

Celebrating the Lovebugs Life





It's been cathartic creating this blog about our girls and writing about Sierra's fight with cancer. I still find myself crying at nothing all the time b/c I think about her and how when we walk into the house and instead of 3 wagging tails I see two. Sierra's sisters are saddened, but true to being a dog, they live in the moment and find happiness in some left over pizza crust or just laying out on the deck all evening. So I'm posting this to talk about the happy memories I have of our girl.

As I sit here at the kitchen table, I can almost feel her brush against my leg, since under the table was her spot. If we couldn't find Sierra, it was always wise to look under the table and she would be curled around a chair. So I'm going to write a letter to my girl, remembering all our happy times.

To Our Sweet Girl,

It's only been a few days since we finally released you from your body. I know from looking in your eyes that day that you do not blame us, but thanked us for ending your pain. I know as you left your body you jumped straight into a huge wave to paddle after your favorite ball. You always were the fastest and best swimmer at the beach. You never failed to amaze us with your athleticism. We always thought what a great sporting dog you would be, but lucky us, you were the best companion instead.

Your sisters miss you and I find them glancing to where your bed used to be. Nala wonders where her littermate is....12 years is a long time. Marley wonders why you don't come into the room in the middle of the night to steal her bed. They feel the loss, but be happy because they find happiness in all the little things you did as well; waiting at the door for us to come home, begging for scraps when dinner is being made, and just a hug or a belly rub.

If I close my eyes, I can see your big brown eyes still, looking at me with absolute trust and loyalty. Sometimes I wish I wasn't in such a hurry in the past, just trying to get out the door on time, I wish I could have stopped for a second to give all of you a hug. I know you didn't mind because you loved us no matter what.

I miss my music fan. Only your sister lies at my feet now as I play my guitar, she's the only one left that can stand it. Every time I play Estudio, I think of you. It's such a pretty song and I promise, I'm going to get all the way through just for you. It will always be our song.

You and your sisters have shown us both what true loyalty and friendship is. How to forgive one another and how to live life every second. We were blessed to have you in our lives and you have reminded us how fast it all goes. I know you have lots of beaches to roam, oceans to swim in, and kitties to chase. As I will never forget how it feels to have your pointy head under my hand, I know you will not forget the love we have for you and the feel of our hands rubbing your head. Swim on sweet girl where you will never get tired and your ball will never be washed out to sea. I know you will be there when it's time for your sisters and that makes me glad. We are lucky that you allowed us to be your owners. A dog's spirit is a brief glimpse of how we should all model our lives. Thanks for sharing that with us.


Videos of Sierra enjoying life





1 comment:

kassabella said...

Run free from pain sweet Sierra.

You left huge foot prints on many hearts and will be sadly missed.

Swim and play until you are united with your family and friends again.

Chris(Kassa) Ernie and Sammy.